This week's cartoon review comes courtesy of a Listener Recommendation, so we're legally obligated to check out Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles. With 44 episodes -- 4 of which are clip shows -- this 1999-2000 series tells the story of Rico's Roughnecks, a squad of space-based troops carrying out orders in defense of Earth. It continues the tales laid out in Robert Heinlein's book as well as Paul Verhoeven's '97 movie that started a fan-favorite franchise. But does Roughnecks live up to that pedigree?
The computer generated-animated series definitely shows its age 20 years later. CG looks great when it comes to bugs and alien worlds but it's an absolute abomination when it comes to human faces, hair, expressions, and even lip sync. It's a mess. It quite honestly should be thrown back into the Uncanny Valley from whence it came. But is it worthy of being dipped? You'll have to tune in to find out!
Support the Show through Patreon:
Want to find our cohosts online?
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrClawMD
- Buy the book 'The Science of Breaking Bad' - https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/science-breaking-bad
Sean Paul Ellis
- IG and twitter @seanpaulellis
- Performer at Washington Improv Theater where you can find tickets and times.
- The Bureau podcast: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Comedy-Podcasts/The-Bureau-p1290704/
If you are digging our show and want to help you out, then you can do so in the following ways:
1. Recommend a cartoon to us:
Call us and leave a message at 202-681-4406. If you call then we will 100% review you recommendations if we haven't watched the cartoon yet.
2. Leave a review on iTunes with the following message titled "Remember the Roughnecks!“ with the review, “The best Earth had to offer!"
3. Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SaturdayMourningCartoons/
4. Follow us on twitter @MourningToons
5. Check us out on Instagram @SaturdayMourningCartoons